Mr. Heffernan received his BA from Loyola Marymount University in 1984 and JD from McGeroge School of Law in 1987. Mr. Heffernan is AV-rated (preeminent) and has been with EL&L since 1985 when he started as a law clerk during law school. Mr. Heffernan has represented a wide variety of plaintiffs from individuals sustaining serious personal injuries to complex mass-tort and consumer class action matters involving significant economic losses. In the past decade, significant focus has been directed at securing recoveries for wildfire victims. Notable recent litigations include substantial individual and mass recoveries for the fire victims in: Santa Barbara; Tea (2008), Jesusita (2009); Malibu: (2003)(2007); Los Angeles: Sesnon (2008), Sayre (2008); S. Lake Tahoe: Angora (2007); San Bernardino: Old Fire (2003), Grass Valley (2007); San Diego: Cedar (2003), Witch, Guejito, Rice (2007); Orange Country: Freeway Complex (2008) and many others. Those efforts have resulted in substantial number of seven, eight and nine figure recoveries against insurers, public utilities, municipalities, telecoms and product manufacturers for a long list of appreciative clients whose lives were transformed and restored after experiencing devastating economic and personal losses.
Areas of Practice
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA, 1987, J.D.
- Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA, 1984, B.A.
- California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- Underinsurance: A Consumer Fraud, Not an Agent Error or Omission — CAOC Forum, 2004
- Underinsurance Litigation: The Hidden Deductible; — CAOC Forum, 2008
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Over $200 million recovered for individuals and property owners
Honors and Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyer 2010-2016
- State Bar of California, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Irish American Bar Association, Member
- L.A. County Bar Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member